Teens Take Over
ARE YOU UNDER 21?
DO YOU LIVE IN CHICAGO OR IN THE CHICAGOLAND SUBURBS? DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO HUNDREDS OF MUSEUM VISITORS, OTHER YOUTH, AND ARTISTS?
Propose a workshop, performance, or zine to be showcased at the Museum of Contemporary Art.
21Minus is curated by the MCA’s Teen Creative Agency.
21Minus is a chance to show the world the creativity, power, and vision of Chicagoland youth.
What does the world need to know about how it feels to be young in Chicago today?
TYPES OF PROJECTS: 21MINUS is a take over, not an exhibition. We can’t accept art that hangs on the walls.
We can accept:
- Workshops/skill-shares: Share a skill. Facilitate a drop-in activity or 20-40 minute timed workshop.
- Conversations: Start a conversation about something important: sit down with a group, create a polling station, make an online comment board, or more.
- Performances: Create a piece of performance art, host an open mic, do an improv act, lead a guided tour, dance, put on a fashion show, play live music, or a DJ set.
- Printed materials: Pass out zines, comic books, stickers, posters, or other printed materials.
- Installation: Build an environment visitors can step into, make a giant sculpture, create an interactive prompt.
CRITERIA: Projects will be chosen based on the following:
- Clarity – Can we understand from your description and image what this is about and what’s going to happen?
- Urgency – How important is the topic?
- Uniqueness – How does this add something special to a bigger conversation?
- Feasibility - Can this project happen at the museum on our timeline, in our budget?
- Proposal: All proposals are due on April 12 at 11:59 pm.
- Review: TCA members will review all proposals and select 10 to be produced for 21Minus.
- Notification: All artists will get an email from TCA by the end of April about whether their proposal has been accepted.
- Artist Party: Selected artists meet TCA members at the MCA on a Saturday in March.
- Artist Workshop: Selected artists will attend a 2-hour meeting with TCA members to workshop your project on a Saturday in May
- Final project confirmation: By end of May, all project details must be finalized and final copies of videos and printed materials must be submitted.
- Prep Night: All artists must be available to install their projects on Friday, June 12.
- Takeover: All artists will present their projects at the MCA between 1 pm-6 pm on Saturday, June 13, 2020. All artists must be on site from 10 am-6:30 pm.