This website pairs video excerpts from interviews with the artist and her studio assistants with images of her major bodies of work to illustrate the process behind their creation. Also included are texts from the exhibition catalogue as well as the exhibition documentary.
- Doris Salcedo2015
- Short A background of orange leaf foliage features white, sans serif text reading “Doris Salcedo” in the center.
- Doris Salcedo–
- Short A building has several dozen chairs hanging off its roof and down the side, suspended by rope.
- Doris Salcedo Wins First Nasher Prize
- Short This video still depicts a close-up of three rectangular wooden tables, each flipped upside down and placed on on identically sized wooden tables separated by a layer of dark earth. Tufts of green grass grow from the underside of the tables on top.
- Doris Salcedo Featured on WTTWCocurators of Doris Salcedo, Julie Rodrigues Widholm, Curator, and Madeleine Grynsztejn, Pritzker Director of the MCA, both spoke with WTTW’s Chicago Tonight program about the first retrospective of Doris Salcedo’s...
- Short A person walks by a massive pile of hundreds of wooden chairs placed between two buildings.
- , ,
- Short A grayish tunic made entirely out of small metal sewing needles hangs from a white wall.
- Short A pale gray, translucent tunic hangs on a wall. It appears to be made of short, thin, overlapping lines.
- Long Hanging from two barely visible hooks on a white wall is what appears to be a very thin translucent grey fabric in the form of a cardigan. The garment has sleeves, with its open side facing the wall. Upon closer inspection, one realizes that the fabric is made of hundreds, if not thousands, of sewing needles held to one another with a barely visible white silk thread. The artwork gives the initial impression of being a simple fabric but as the viewer realizes that the piece is meticulously made of so many sharp and hard pieces, the illusion of soft folds become more impressive. The fabric looks weightless, like a ghost fabric.
- , ,
- Short A sculpture of a vertical wooden cabinet precisely intersects a second wooden cabinet laying on the floor.
- , ,
- Short Four murky sepia-toned images of shoes embedded on a white wall by what appears to be surgical stitching.