A letter from the director
Hello, Chicago! We look forward to welcoming you back, in person, to the museum.
We want to first thank you for virtually visiting while we were closed. This time has afforded us the opportunity to stretch ourselves creatively and create a new program of online talks, studio visits, and virtual galleries. That programming will continue in our new world—visit our web site to engage, explore, learn, and create at home.
COVID-19 has changed our protocols and we have new practices in place to keep staff and you, our visitors, healthy. Look below to learn about those practices and how to visit our building.
We know now, more than ever, the healing power and connection we find in art. We welcome you.
As You Return to the Museum
Here are the safety practices that we’re maintaining to keep visitors and staff safe.
- All visitors, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear a mask in all indoor museum spaces and while interacting with MCA staff or visitors while outdoors.
- We’ve created a dedicated visitor path that traverses all of our galleries to ensure safe social distancing. The entrance is on Pearson Street and the exit is through the MCA Store. Visitors may also enter through the Commons from the back gate, proceeding downstairs to the Admission Desk. Follow the blue arrows on your visit.
- In order to manage occupancy, we ask that you reserve your ticket online prior to visiting. Limited tickets will also be available at the admissions desk on the first floor.
- We invite you to take advantage of our outdoors spaces during your visit.
- Our backyard and sculpture garden are open! Find the entrance through the Commons on the second floor.
- Everyone who enters the space for any reason agrees to our Code of Conduct.
Below is our Code of Conduct that we all agree to in order to visit, share, and learn in the museum.
By entering the space, you're agreeing:
- To wear a mask and use hand sanitizer regardless of your vaccination status.
- To follow the visitor path marked with blue arrows.
- You are not currently experiencing any of the following symptoms related to COVID-19:
- A fever of 100.4 or above
- Persistent cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Unexplained muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- To be kind. As regulations change in our city and state, individuals are adapting to change at their own pace. Please respect others’ choice to continue adhering to COVID-19 precautions.
- To respect the ten-day quarantine period if unvaccinated and traveling from a state on the Chicago Travel Quarantine List.
While We Were Gone
During our closure, we took steps to ensure that our building would be safe and sanitized.
Below is a list of the measures we took while you were gone.
- We disinfected all public spaces and conducted deep cleaning of all office spaces.
- We added hand sanitizing stations throughout the building.
- We closed and deinstalled artworks and engagements that require touch.
- We completed a thorough evaluation of our HVAC system.
- We trained staff on new safety practices based on CDC, state, and city guidelines.