- JACK &: Prelude to the DanceStructured on social codes and trainings, from prison reentry programs to 1950s sitcoms to debutante balls, JACK & is a comedy of errors that considers the measureless damages of being...
- Long A dark-skinned woman smiles down at her laptop. She wears a dark hooded sweatshirt and black-framed glasses, which reflect the computer screen. Next to her computer are various gadgets with knobs and dials, and she seems to adjust one of them with her right hand. In the bottom-left-hand side of the image, next to all of the electronic equipment, sits a pineapple. The woman appears to be performing a DJ set, and she is spotlighted with a bright white light coming from her right; behind her, an abstract geometric drawing is projected onto the wall.
- Reading Images: A New LayerWhen we first developed Coyote to enable web users who are blind or have low vision to “see” images on the web, we didn’t anticipate just how valuable this layer...
- Long This illustration features 21 humanoid figures split between two central panels that are short and stacked on top of each other and two long vertical panels on either side. The characters have thin, brown arms and big, round, teal heads, and in the outer panels, they wear blue tank tops and black bandit masks. In the left panel, three figures appear to hang from the top of the frame by their waists. The outer two dangle belts and the one in the middle wears a belt. They hang over three figures at the bottom, cut off at the torso, who reach toward the belts. The far right panel has a similar scene, with three figures hanging from the top and reaching up from the bottom. This time, the outer two at the bottom hold belts while the center figure reaches toward the figure above, who now dangles a belt. It appears to be a before-and-after sequence. The top central panel shows two figures wearing sleeveless belted leotards, black bandit masks, and white surgical masks. They both carry smaller, masked characters with gaping mouths and belts around their necks. The bottom central panel shows five distressed figures wearing pale blue shrouds and black bandit masks.
- Warhol’s Portrait of Power
- Long A three-quarter black-and-white portrait of Richard Nixon seemingly hand-colored with garish tones: His face, a light blue-green with yellow lips, stands out against his pink suit and orange background. Written below the portrait is the directive "VOTE MCGOVERN."
- Throwback Thursdays: Dan Flavin Comment CardsThe recently opened exhibition To the Racy Brink (on view through December 10) dives deep into the MCA's history of exhibitions, performances, and publications. Among the museum's earliest documentation and...
- Long An image of a dark room with colored tube-shaped light bulbs spanning floor to ceiling installed onto a far wall that gets smaller with distance from the viewers perspective. The bulbs alternate in pink and orange, and some are close to one another, some several feet away in an unclear pattern, each bulb casting a reflection of alternating pink and orange on the glossy floor.
- Quotable Artist: Takashi MurakamiThanks to the internet and the proliferation of social media, the gap between artists and audiences is closing. The mystery of what artists think, especially in regards to their artwork,...
- Long A bulbous cartoon creature fills the saturated blue background of this wide rectangular painting full of bright, ecstatic colors. It is surrounded by dozens of smaller cartoon figures. Topped by two circular, multicolored ears, the figure has large, drooping eyes and a wide mouth—nearly as wide as its head—that opens in a menacing grin, revealing jagged rows of sharp black teeth. Covered with blotches of white and muted greens, oranges, pinks, and reds, its body blends in with a similarly colored hill below it. Two small feet with overgrown nails and a tiny pair of testicles and penis, however, differentiate the two forms. A thick, multicolored goo oozes from the corners of the creature’s mouth, and the globs of orange, brown, red, cream, and blue coalesce on the land below. With long white arms, one of which holds a staff topped by colorful skulls, the looming figure appears to preside over small creatures taking part in grotesque, brightly colored scenes, including a few critters on the far left, who purge variegated sludge; another who chomps down on a multicolored phallus out of which an even smaller figure emerges; and one on the right with squinting, watering eyes who opens its teeth-filled mouth to ingest a grub-like form with protruding spikes. The painting evokes a jubilant sense of chaos. The bottom edge of the canvas is lined with low rolling hills sparsely dotted with various two-dimensional daisies sporting big red smiles. A few clusters of fluffy white clouds in the background come in contact with two thick green lines that are visible between the hills, giving the impression of a horizon line. Though the relative size of the hills and the horizon line would suggest a great distance between them, the landscape appears foreshortened.
- Plant Parenting in WinterAs Chicago gradually returns to its regular winter weather program (i.e., cold and gloomy), two green thumbs at the MCA present a few tips for keeping your greenery alive during...
- Long An aralia, succulent and snake plant sit on an office desk with a large, rust colored volcanic rock. The rock sits on a book titled "Fucking Apostrophes". A rectangular, white clock with a countdown to Christmas sits behind the rock and book.
- Self-Care as WarfareFor tonight's post-inauguration “School Night” special, Homeroom gathers together a group of artists, activists, and professionals to discuss de-escalation tactics, media literacy, and mental health issues, as well as strategies...
- Long A white pail with the word "HEAL" spelled out in orange, green, and pink elastic bandages sits on the corner of a light-grey carpet that covers a dark-grey tile floor. The pail is filled halfway with elastic bandages.
- Moving the Medium Forward
- Long You are in a room with four similar images of two wolves, all in muted jewel tones. These colors correspond to the primary and secondary colors of light. Two projectors are on the floor. They are projecting directly at you. In the center of the wall in front of you is a doorway, so you can see through this gallery into the brightly lit gallery beyond.
- 5 Things to Know About Chef Jason HammelJason Hammel, owner and chef of Lula Cafe, Logan Square’s “best neighborhood café,” will soon take on a new role—culinary curator of the MCA’s new restaurant. Before it opens in...
- Long This brightly lit black-and-white portrait depicts a light-skinned man with slightly styled dark hair and a short, salt-and-pepper beard. His light eyes stand out against his dark hair and attire, and almost seem to match the backdrop he stands in front of.