Submissions are now closed. See you on June 16!
Be part of the teen takeover.
ARE YOU A CHICAGOLAND RESIDENT UNDER 21?
DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY?
ARE YOU EXCITED TO ENGAGE HUNDREDS OF MUSEUM VISITORS, OTHER YOUTH, AND ARTISTS?
On Saturday, June 16, 2018, teens will take over the MCA. The MCA’s Teen Creative Agency is looking for workshops, performances, and interactive installations that challenge visitors to engage with the museum and each other in radically new ways. Individuals or groups of artists under 21 are invited to propose a project. TCA members review and select projects in February.
THEME: THE FUTURE
What will the world look like in 100 years? How can art shape the future? We’re looking for broad interpretations of the theme, so don’t hesitate to submit a proposal, even if it doesn’t seem like it exactly fits. If you need more inspiration, try imagining the future of:
- Representation, identity, fashion
- Chicago, community, neighborhoods
- Technology, media, the internet
- Social justice, power, oppression
- Democracy, free speech
TYPES OF PROJECTS
21Minus is a takeover, not an exhibition. We are looking for interactive projects to fill the public spaces and galleries of the museum for one day only, not art that hangs on walls. Submit your proposal in one of these categories:
- INSTALLATIONS: Do you like to build worlds? Set up a sculpture that people can interact with or an immersive environment in a public space in the MCA.
- MUSIC: Propose a live musical performance or a DJ set.
- PERFORMANCES: Do you like to make a scene? Propose a piece of performance art, an open mic, improv act, guided tour, dance, fashion show, or more for galleries and spaces throughout the MCA.
- PRINTED MATERIALS: Do you make zines, comic books, stickers, posters, or other printed materials? Apply to hand out your work at 21Minus.
- VIDEO: Submit a video to be screened in the MCA's theater.
- WORKSHOPS: Do you like to teach? Facilitate a drop-in activity or a 20–40 minute timed workshop that explores a topic related to our theme.
- PROPOSAL: All proposals are due on January 27, 2018, at 11:59 pm.
- REVIEW: TCA members will review all proposals and select 12–15 to be produced for 21Minus.
- NOTIFICATION: All artists will get an email from TCA in February if their proposal has been accepted.
- MEETINGS: Accepted artists will come to the MCA on 2–3 Saturdays for 1-hour meetings with TCA to develop their projects.
- FINAL PROJECT CONFIRMATION: By early May, all project details must be finalized and final copies of videos and printed materials must be submitted.
- PREP NIGHT: All artists must be available to install their projects on Friday, June 15.
- TAKEOVER: All artists will present their projects at the MCA between 1–6 pm on Saturday, June 16, 2018. All artists must be on site from 10 am–6:30 pm.